The Rev. Dr. Patricia Ann (Patty) Meyers
Atlantic School of Theology
I start with my firm belief that all are created in the Divine Image and are of equal and infinite worth.
“You can’t anymore give what you ain’t got than you can return from where you ain’t been.”
"To give and forgive is a good way to live."
Ed.D. (Seattle University)
D.Min. (Graduate Theological Foundation)
M.C.E. (Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary)
B.M. (Coe College)
My teaching philosophy is captured in the following metaphor:
You are invited to a potluck/covered dish banquet. Everyone brings something to share and lays it on the table. There is room for everyone. I am the host. I welcome you and assist to make you comfortable and ready to partake. I do not tell you what you may or may not eat since I do not know that for which you are hungry. The banquet room is set, warm and inviting, conducive to pleasant conversation and digestion. Every one of your senses are stimulated to share what each one brings to the banquet.
Courses taught (representative)
- Faith Development
- Spiritual Formation
- Spiritual Direction
- Leadership in the Church
- Teaching and Learning
- Teaching for Biblical Faith
- Introduction to Theology
- Vocation and Servant Leadership
- Introduction to Sports & Recreational Ministry
- Seminar in Human Relations
- Balancing the Personal and Professional Life
- Age level and Intergenerational Ministries
I am writing a collection of midrashim. I also have another edition of the book, Between Everything, coming out next year.
- Faith Formers: Heroes of the Faith who help others grow in their relationship with God.
- You Are Welcome Here, a Child’s Invitation to the Lord’s Table.
- Live, Learn, Pass It On! The Practical Benefits of Generations Growing Together in Faith.
- Fostering Faith: A Study of the Relationship between Spiritual Teacher and Student.
- Between Everything: Teacher Helps for Transitioning Preteens. (with Ed Trimmer)
- Practicing God’s Presence: Portrayals of Ministry in Poetry.
- Thelma and Louise Do Religious Education: Standing on the Edge and Leading with Hope Journal of the Religious Education Association (REA), with Susan Willhauck
- Religious Education for the Whole Person: a theory grounded in the Works of Rudolf Steiner
- Here is My Hand, what it means to be reconciled with all God's people
- Dozens of articles, songs, Bible study curricula for every age, 2 through older adults.
- Professor of Christian Education and Church Music | Acting Dean, School of Religion, Pfeiffer University
- Faculty Fellow, Graduate Theological Foundation
- Adjunct, Northwest House of Theological Studies, Salem, OR
- Faculty, Marylhurst University, Lake Oswego, OR, Religion & Philosophy Dept.
- Adjunct Faculty, Northwest Christian College, Eugene, OR, Educational Ministries
- United Methodist Association of Scholars of Christian Education (UMASCE)
- Member; immediate past president, Association of Professors and Researchers in Religious Education APRRE)
- Religious Education Association (REA)
- Christians Engaged in Faith Formation/ Christian Educators Fellowship (CEF) – Current president
- Co-founder & first president of Oregon-Idaho conference chapter
- Founder, faculty advisor, Pfeiffer University student chapter
- Member WNCC-CEF board of directors (ex officio)
- Fellowship of United Methodists in Worship, Art, & Music
- Title III Grant, US Dept. of Education
- Rosalie Bentzinger Graduate Grant
- Lilly Grant for Youth Theological Institute (co-authored)
Playing the piano, all music; knitting; walking on the beach; reading