Dr. David Csinos
Assistant Professor of Practical Theology
Co-Coordinator of Summer Distance M.Div. Program
Yesterday I met a whole man. It is a rare experience, but always an illuminating and ennobling one. It costs so much to be a full human being that there are very few who have the enlightenment, or the courage, to pay the price… One has to abandon altogether the search for security, and reach out to the risk of living with both arms. One has to embrace the world like a lover, and yet demand no easy return on love. One has to accept pain as a condition of existence. One has to court doubt and darkness as the cost of knowing. One needs a will stubborn in conflict, yet apt always to the total acceptance of every consequence of living and dying.
—Pope Kiril in Morris West’s The Shoes of the Fisherman
B.A., Wilfrid Laurier University
M.T.S., McMaster University
Th.M., Union Presbyterian Seminary
Ph.D., University of St. Michael’s College
- Theological entrepreneurship and ministry innovation
- Children’s theology and culture
- Re-imagining ecclesiology through prioritizing the voices of youth and children
- Vulnerability, hope, and homiletics
- Transforming children’s sermons into moments of theological creativity for the whole congregation
- Reflexology and theological ethnography as avenues for transformation among leaders
- Intergenerational faith formation
- PT 1001: Pastoral Foundations
- WF 1000: Worship Foundations
- PT 2143: Leadership and Change Theory
- PT 2144: Re-Imagining Ministry with Children and Youth
- PT 3137: Preaching in a Changing World
- PT 3138: Homiletical Theology for Vibrant Faith
- GS 3000A/B: Graduate Project and Seminar
- Csinos, David M. “Falling Leaf Catcher: Awe and Wonder.” In Re-Envsioning Children’s Ministry: A Guide for Churches. Edited by Sally Nash, Carolyn Edwards, and Sian Hancock. London: Jessica Kingsley (forthcoming).
- Csinos, David M., ed. Faith Forward, Volume 3: Launching a Revolution through Ministry with Children, Youth, and Families. Kelowna, BC: Wood Lake, 2018.
- Csinos, David M. “Between Yes and No: The Inner Journey of Qualitative Research.” In Qualitative Research in Theological Education: Pedagogy in Practice. Edited by Susan Willhauck and Mary Clark Moschella. London: SCM, 2018.
- Csinos, David M. “A Little Child Shall Lead Them.” Sojourners 45, no. 5(2016): 26-9.
- Csinos, David M. and Melvin Bray, eds. Faith Forward, Volume 2: Re-Imagining Children’s and Youth Ministry. Kelowna, BC: CopperHouse, 2015.
- Csinos, David M. and Ivy Beckwith. Children’s Ministry in the Way of Jesus. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2013.
- Csinos, David M. and Melvin Bray, eds. Faith Forward: A Dialogue on Children, Youth, and a New Kind of Christianity. Kelowna, BC: CopperHouse, 2013.
- Csinos, David M. “‘What Can I Say to Them?’ Messages about War and Peace in a Mennonite Children’s Periodical during World War II.” Journal of Mennonite Studies 31 (2013): 11-30.
- Csinos, David M. Children’s Ministry that Fits: Beyond One-Size-Fits-All Approaches to Nurturing Children’s Spirituality. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2011.
- Csinos, David M. “ ‘Come, Follow Me’: Apprenticeship in Jesus’ Approach to Education.” Religious Education 105, no. 1 (2010): 45-62.
For the past seven years or so, I have served as executive director of Faith Forward, an ecumenical organization that I founded to network, inspire, and resource forward-thinking leaders in children’s and youth ministry toward innovative theology and action. Faith Forward has hosted four international gatherings (Washington DC, 2012; Nashville, 2014; Chicago, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018) and produced books, podcasts, and more. You can learn more about Faith Forward at http://faith-forward.net.
From 2012-2014, I was an inaugural Fellow in the Teaching for Ministry Program at Emmanuel College (University of Toronto). This cutting-edge program selects a small cohort of interdisciplinary doctoral candidates to engage in critical reflection and experimentation surrounding pedagogy for graduate-level theological education.
- Canadian Association for Baptist Freedoms
- Editorial board member, Journal of Family and Communities Ministries
- Book review editor, Religious Education
- Member of International Academy of Practical Theology
- Member of American Academy of Religion
- Member of Religious Education Association
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, 2011-2014
- A. James Reimer Award, Toronto Mennonite Theological Centre, 2011