The Rev. Dr. Tracy J. Trothen
Summer Term Instructor
The United Church of Canada
Tracy J. Trothen, Professor of Ethics at Queen’s University (jointly appointed to the School of Religion and the School of Rehabilitation Therapy), specializes in ethics of sport, technology, artificial intelligence, and aging adults. She teaches courses in the multidisciplinary MSc and GDip Aging and Health program including ethics and aging, and spirituality and aging. In the School of Religion she teaches courses on artificial intelligence, research and writing, and biomedical ethics. She co-chairs the American Academy of Religion's (AAR) Artificial Intelligence Seminar and is a Fellow of the International Society for Science and Religion (ISSR).
- 2021: Calvin Mercer and Tracy J. Trothen. Religion and the Technological Future: An Introduction to Biohacking, A.I., and Transhumanism. Palgrave MacMillan. https://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9783030623586 (Arabic translation by Al Riyada scheduled for 2023) (Winner, International Society for Science and Religion, Book Prize)
- 2018: Tracy J. Trothen. Spirituality, Sport, and Doping: More than Just a Game. SpringerBriefs Sport and Religion Series. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. (selected for inclusion in the Olympic World Library www.olympic.org/library)
- 2015: Tracy J. Trothen. Winning the Race? Religion, Hope, and Reshaping the Sport Enhancement Debate. Sport and Religion Series. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press. (selected for inclusion in the Olympic World Library www.olympic.org/library)
- 2012: Tracy J. Trothen. Shattering the Illusion: Child Sexual Abuse Policies and Canadian Religious Institutions. ASPP (SHRCC) funded. Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier Press.
- 2003: Tracy J. Trothen. Linking Sexuality and Gender: Naming Violence Against Women in The United Church of Canada. ASPP (SHRCC) funded. Studies in Women and Religion Series. Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier Press.
BOOKS: EDITED COLLECTIONS
- 2022: Tracy J. Trothen and Calvin Mercer, eds. Ethics, Religion, and Spiritual Health: Intersections With Artificial Intelligence or Other Human Enhancement Technologies. Printed Book Edition of Special Issue: "Ethics, Religion, and Spiritual Health: Intersections With Artificial Intelligence or Other Human Enhancement Technologies." Volume 13, Issue 4 Religions.
- 2019: Tracy J. Trothen, ed. Sport, Spirituality, and Religion: New Intersections. Printed Book Edition of Special Issue: "Sport, Spirituality, and Religion: New Intersections and Global Challenges." Volume 10, Issue 10 Religions.
- 2017: Religion and Human Enhancement: Death, Values, and Morality. Tracy J. Trothen and Calvin Mercer, co-editors. Palgrave Studies in the Future of Humanity and its Successors Series. Hampshire, UK: Palgrave MacMillan. (the order of co-editor names does not reflect second editor status for Mercer).
- 2015: Religion and Transhumanism: The Unknown Future of Human Enhancement. Calvin Mercer and Tracy J. Trothen, co-editors. Westport, CT: Praeger. (the order of co-editor names does not reflect second editor status for Trothen).
- 2015: Religion and Sexuality: Diversity and the Limits of Tolerance. Eds. Pamela Dickey Young, Heather Shipley and Tracy J. Trothen. ASPP (SHRCC) funded. Vancouver, BC: UBC Press.