Pine Hill Divinity Hall
The Promise Bursary
The Promise Bursary is awarded to a person whose congregation has recognized in them significant promise for leadership within The United Church of Canada in the future.
The Promise Bursary is a cash bursary of $250, with no strings attached. The recipient also receives a letter of congratulation.
A nominee for the Promise Bursary must be well-known to and in good standing with her or his community of faith. The nominee must be 16 years of age or older. The nominee cannot be a current student at a theological school.
- A member or minister of the nominee’s pastoral charge sends a nomination letter to the Pine Hill Bursary Committee. Self-nominations are not permitted. Nominators may present only one name per year for consideration.
- The letter of nomination should describe how this person shows significant promise for leadership in the future, and the nature of her or his involvement in the congregation.
- A second, supporting letter must accompany the nominator’s letter, written by another leader from the same pastoral charge.
- Nominators must provide their contact information, as well as contact information for the nominee.
- Important: the nominee must not be informed that she or he has been nominated.
- The two letters of nomination must be submitted to the Pine Hill Bursary Committee between December 1 and February 1 of any year. The deadline for nominations is February 1 of each year.
- The Pine Hill Bursary Committee will review nominations and choose three recipients for the Promise Award after the February 1 deadline. The chair of the Bursary Committee will send the recipient a letter of congratulation.
- In years in which there are enough funds, more than one Promise Award may be awarded, but normally not more than three.
- Initial donations have been received, and other donors are welcome to add to the fund. The principal held in the Promise Bursary fund can be spent at any time. When the Promise Bursary funds are exhausted, Pine Hill can discontinue the bursary.
- Donations to the fund will be gratefully received in the Pine Hill office by sending charitable funds to Pine Hill, 660 Francklyn Street, Halifax, NS B3H 3B5 or e-transfer Brenda.Munro@astheology.ns.ca. Charitable tax receipts can be sent only if you send you an explanation of your name and address with the e-transfer.
For full bursary application details, please contact: