International Students

Academic Programs Admission Requirements For International Students

We are happy to have international students study with us at Atlantic School of Theology. We have multiple options for studying both online and in person. Please note that AST Diploma Programs do not qualify for a Canadian Study Visa

If your first language is not English, you will need to achieve a minimum score of 550 on the TOEFL for admission. You are also expected to submit an academic writing sample of 8-10 pages, showcasing your best research and writing skills, with your application. Additionally, you will need to apply to Immigration Canada for a Study Permit. Please visit for contact information for your nearest Canadian Consulate or High Commission. AST expects international students to meet all government requirements and have sufficient financial resources for the duration of their studies.

The academic pre-requisite for admission to the Master of Divinity Program (MDiv), Graduate Certificate Program in Theological Studies, and admission as a Special Student is a Bachelor’s Degree (or its educational equivalent) from a university recognized by the Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada or the Council for Higher Education in the United States. Applicants to the MDiv Program, Graduate Certificate Program, and as a Special Student are expected to have attained an average of at least 70% or a ‘B’ grade (or the grade point average equivalent) in their undergraduate program.

Applicants who seek admission to graduate programs or credit courses without a completed Bachelor’s degree must complete a Prior Learning Portfolio to establish Bachelor's degree equivalency.

Apply for a Study Permit

To study in Canada, international students require a study permit and/or a visitor visa, issued by Canada immigration authorities. Full information on how to apply for a study permit can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. The CIC website has comprehensive information on how to get a study permit, including instructions on how to:

  • Prepare to study by finding out what you need before applying for a study permit
  • Determine your eligibility
  • Apply for a study permit, including where to get application forms and guides
  • Check Processing Times
  • Get 'next steps' after you apply
  • Prepare for arrival in Canada

American citizens or permanent residents of the United States can apply for study permits at the points of entry (border or airports) into Canada.

Please contact our Recruitment and Vocations Coordinator for further information: